Friday, March 23, 2007

Speak

Most of us have been to at least one bad party. And I bet all of us have had a crummy day at school. (Remember Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day?) Well, Laurie Halse Anderson’s 1999 novel, Speak, takes the un-fun party and the awful school day to new heights. It’s one of the most-borrowed books in the fiction section. (It’s also a movie.)

Melinda starts off her ninth grade year under the cloud of something that happened at a summertime party. Something so terrible that she called the police, who broke up the party, which outraged the other party-goers. In the space of a phone call, Melinda has become an outsider, shunned and heckled by her peers -- even her best friend, Rachel, dumps her. “I am OUTCAST,” she realizes. Why did Melinda call the cops? She can’t think about it. She can’t talk about it. Soon, she cannot speak at all.

Speak is organized by quarters, like the school year. We see the students, teachers, halls and classrooms from Melinda’s point of view, reading her thoughts. We are outcast with her, and burning to find out what actually happened at that infamous party.

Lest you think that Anderson’s novel is one long, miserable slog, I have to mention how funny it is. Yes, really. Melinda has a wicked wit, and a spot-on take on almost every aspect of high school life. From the cliques (the Future Fascists of America, the Marthas, the Suffering Artists...) to the teachers (good old Mr. Neck!) to the ever-changing school mascots and the way her parents talk in post-it notes, you will find plenty of humor to break up the suspense and sadness.

If you’ve read Speak, we’d love to see your comments. Fire ‘em in!

16 comments:

Big Reader said...

Finally, someone breaks the friendship code of silence and calls the cops. In a bad party situation that only got worse personally for Melinda, she made a very courageous move. Bravo!

Anonymous said...

I read this book in a day. It was engrossing. I was engulfed by how realistic it was. I loved it. Anderson is a great author.

Unknown said...

My class is reading this book. I love it. I cant put the book down.I think Melinda did a great thing also by calling the cops.Anderson is a great author

Unknown said...

My class is reading speak. i loved it. i can hardly put the book down.reading this book is nostalgic and interesting.

Unknown said...

My class is reading this book. i love this book because it keeps you guessing and it hooks you in. I could hardly put the book down. Anderson is a great writer.

Anonymous said...

I respect Melinda's decision to call the cops at the party b/c I know if I were in a situation like that, I would do the same. What I don't understand is why and how she kept quiet for so long. Personally, I am vey social and can not stay quiet for even 5 min. I think that if she would have talked to someone earlier, it would have helped her cope with her problems and then she would feel better about herself and not be so much of an outcast.

Anonymous said...

I belive speak is a very dermatic and annoying book. The story is a deacent one but it is all the same. The story is about a child that becomes an out cast over somthing she did that reuned every ones fun. Even though no one knowes what happens the don't bother to ask, or try to find out what happens.

Erin F. said...

I absolutely loved this book. I was ecstatic to find out how much Melinda started to SPEAK out at the end of the year. I couldn't believe how everybody treated her until they found out what truly happened. They should have just believed her in the beginning when she said she did it for a specific reason.

Anonymous said...

The book was great but i didn't find nit funny. I can relate to the book just like i can bet everyone else can.

Anonymous said...

I really like your review. I thought the book was pretty good also. =D

Anonymous said...

I think Speak is an amazing book! It is very dramatic, but that makes it interesting. And that horrible party and IT that Melinda is constantly referring to, creates a lot of curiosity throughout the book. So a great story told from the point of view of the most sarcastic and witty person I have ever heard, makes for a wonderful book!

Anonymous said...

My english class is reading the book now, but i read it prior to reading it in class & I have seen the movie. I love this book and I encourage young teens to read it. Anderson is a great author I think she did a great job with the details of high school.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the book, i couldn`t stop readin till the end

Anonymous said...

I thought the book was great
couldnt stop readin till the end!

Unknown said...

I thought the book speak was a very good book and i enjoyed it alot.

ER said...

I loved Speak-a stunning book.